How to get immediate relief from heart burn?

I am having heart burn condition for many years now. I tried to control my food times to reduce heartburn, which actually worked very well. (I stopped taking Zinetac regularly). Still some time I have heart burn, and at times it is so acute that I wake up at the middle of the night. I chew on Gelusil, have a Zinetac, and for quick relief I mix Baking Soda in water and drink it (I did this with my knowledge on Chemistry) and it gives immediate relief. I am going the right way? or there is some medicine which gives immediate relief (Eno doesnot work well for me) ?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. For complete relief from heartburn which is a sign of gastroesophageal reflux disease, medications and dietary/lifestyle changes are important. You can take medications like esomeprazole once a day before breakfast and ranitidine before dinner for 4-8 weeks. You need to reduce weight if you are obese. You need to avoid smoking/alcohol ( if you have these habits), avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food, chocolates, carbonated beverages, mint, onion. Do not eat full stomach. Eat smaller , multiple meals. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after sleep. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini