How to diagnose lump next to rectum with history of digestive problems ?

Hi, I have had some digestive problems for quite a while. Started with acid reflux and then no acid but a little food came up after eating ( I rechewed and swallowed). Eventually diarrhea and (I think) more frequent bowel movements. The diarrhea went away after a short time and bowel movements seem normal but still felt unsettled digestion. Eventually major symptoms are excess gas, stomach rumblings and a little food coming up. Have been under a great deal of stress and anxiety because of health and other problems. Saw a doctor who gave me Lansoprazole and took helicobacter pylori test (waiting for results). The med helped a lot, no more reflux and less gas and rumbling. A few days ago, I noticed a small kind of painful lump next to rectum. The next day it seems to have gone away. The day after that, however, I noticed that it hadn't gone away but had instead grown larger and now extends from anus towards testicles. Still kind of painful (though not as bad) and causes discomfort when sitting. Today seems about the same size or a little smaller. Other than all of that, I generally feel healthy, only had nausea ons day (day I went to dostor and only lasted a minute or two and relieved by bowel movement), no blood in feces , no vomiting, no fatigue or loss of appetite. Obviously cold be anything but right now more concerned about the lump, I jnow this is a lot, but what do you think?
(by the way, intend to have endoscopy and colonoscopy but prob won't address the lump.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later

I'm glad to hear your upper GI symptoms are improved while on the lansoprazole and I completely agree with an upper and lower endoscopy to do a complete assessment of your GI tract.

As for the lump, let me provide you with some reassurance and recommendations. This sounds like an external hemorrhoid. A hemorrhoid is a swollen vein which pushes a bit into the rectal mucosal tissue. This can be caused by straining with bowel movements or prolonged sitting. This can be very easily treated as well!

There are multiple over the counter preparations which are available including Anusol or Preparation H among others. These typically contain hydrocortisone or witch XXXXXXX These products are applied topically after each bowel movement and over a period of time they will help to shrink the swollen tissue - quite often to complete resolution. Very rarely if the tissue does not shrink and a patient has continued pain or discomfort, a surgeon can remove it in a minor procedure.

One additional recommendation would be to sit in a warm bath for 30 minutes per day. This will also be soothing and help to shrink the swollen tissue.

I hope I have provided you with an adequate response and informative ways to address what's going on. I am available for your followups.