How to cure severe pain after knee amputaion?

Excellent

Diabetologist
Question
MY HUSBAND SUFFERED A BELOW KNEE AMPUTATION LAST YEAR. HE CONTINUES TO SUFFER PHANTOM PAINS. HE HAS TRIED MIRROR THERAPY,TENS, GABAPENTIN, P.T., CYMBALTA, TRAMADOL, AND OVER THE COUNTER MEDS. ARE THEIR PATCHES OR INJECTIONS OF ANY KIND THAT COULD HELP? IS A MORPHINE PUMP TOO XXXXXXX AT HIS AGE? THE PAIN CONTROLS HIS LIFE.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Explaining about phantom pain Detailed Answer: Hi. I am Dr Saumya MIttal. I am a physician and a diabetician. I read your query. And I understand the problem you have is unresolving phantom pain. Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that phantom pain does not really have a full range of treatment. Mostly we prescribe medicines like gabapentin, amitryptiline, and such medicine. But as I read, you have already tried most of them. I can only suggest that you try amitryptiline and methylcobalamin and pregabalin in consultation with your doctor. These medicines have relatively fewer side effects compared to medicines you said he is on. The best remedy is surgical. What happens is the when we have an amputation, sometimes the nerve stump is not cut cleanly and this causes problem. What they do is that they open the stump at the suture site, and cut the nerve a little higher. This is very often successful. The drawbacks are 1. It means another surgery 2. It needs a neurovascular surgeon skilled in such surgeries. I am sorry I could not provide an answer that would help him feel beter immediately. I would be happy to help you with any other query you may have. Dr Saumya Mittal, MD