How to control the increasing mouth ulcers?

ENT Specialist
Hi, Im a 36 year old male. I have suffered from mouth ulcers my hole life, but have always been able to keep them under controll untill recently. The past two years i have had them non stop and sometimes ten at a time. I have even had them on my throat over ten times this year. Could this be oral cancer? If not what kind of doctor would be the best? Please help, i cant mentally take this anymore...
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: How to control the increasing mouth ulcers? 5 minutes later
My ulcers sometimes dont heal for twenty days, could my body be telling me something is wrong, by always making me break out in ulcers? Please help
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 59 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Canker sores also called as Aphthous ulcers in the oral cavity are sometimes very distressing. It is mainly due to stress, and other causes include lack of nutrition, consumption of excessive hot and spicy food, consumption of alcohol, etc.

Recurrent aphthous are occasionally associated with certain medical conditions such as Behcet’s Disease, SLE and Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Presuming you do not have ulcers anywhere in the body, no weight loss, no lethargy, no joint pains or any other medical problems, the cause of recurrent ulcers could be either stress related or poor nutrition.

No need to worry, as the recurrent aphthous ulcers are not a sign of malignancy.

I would like to suggest you few things to get rid of these canker sores:
     Drink plenty of water
     Reduce stress if any
     Take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables as they are good source of vitamins
     Avoid greasy food, excessive coffee/tea/alcohol
     Take tablets containing B-Complex along with Zinc for few days
     You can use local applicants like Bonjela Mouth Ulcer gel, Smyle Mouth Ulcer gel and if the ulcer persists you can take Kenalog in orabase (only after consulting your doctor)
     Sometimes, if the ulcers are multiple or non-healing then you might require a short course of oral steroids

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon