How to control fluctuating TSH levels ?

my TSH level found before 2 days back 100 uIU/ml. before 3 months back i had an abortion b'z child(4 months) has an NTD defect. Previously in first month of preganancy my TSH level way 5.92 uIU/ml, then doctor advised me to take thyranorm 50mcg. then within 3 months it was dropped to 1.2uIU/ml. after abortion she told me to stop thyranorm tablets and after stopping tablets today means after 3 months it is detected 100uIU/ml . How can it raise upto 100uIU/ml within such a short span of 3 months?? and what r the remedies.
age:28 height:152cm weight :56.5kg
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 39 minutes later

If the thyroid is not producing adequate hormones, it results in a rise in the TSH. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone.

This is a compensatory mechanism which starts operating to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormones.

As the thyroid can not produce enough thyroid hormone due to the damaged thyroid gland, it results in the continuously rising TSH.

It is not surprising that your TSH levels have reached a value of 100. You may need a permanent thyroid hormone replacement in the form of thyronorm. Majority of the patients need a dose between 100-150 mcg daily.

However, usually the dose is started at 50 mcg and then gradually increased to 100 over a period of 2-3 months. Please consult an endocrinologist for the same.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How to control fluctuating TSH levels ? 21 hours later
How this TSH level will affect on my preganancy if i want to take chance? when u will suggest me to take next chance? what could be the reason for sudden change in TSH level.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

It is highly advisable to ensure a good thyroid control before planning the pregnancy. A poorly controlled state can result in a poor neurological development of the fetus.

Moreover, uncontrolled hypothyroidism can also lead to irregular menstrual cycles and can also hinder in becoming pregnant.

The TSH does rise very fast as the body continues to make an attempt to stimulate the thyroid gland with more and more of TSH.

You should repeat the TSH after 1 month again after the starting the therapy.

Sudden change in the TSH levels may be related to stress, goitrogenic foods, pregnancy, taking calcium and iron supplements etc.

I sincerely hope this answer helps.