How to achieve weight loss,post-menopause?

I am a 56 year old post-menopausal woman and I carry my weight asymmetrically due to previous mastectomies for DCIS. I am 5 feet tall and weigh 110 lbs but would feel better if I weighed 5-10 lbs less. Based on calorie calculators, I can't really reduce my calorie intake below 1200 calories per day (I eat a lot of vegetables to fill up). What is the best way to achieve this weight loss over the next several months. I have started a strengthening program (3 x per week) and walk about 2 miles a day.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Normal BMI. Exercise regularly. Avoid deep fried f Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Your BMI is 21.5. It is normal range. If you loss 10 lbs, then BMI will come to 19.5. 1. Exercise regularly for at least 45 minutes a day for 5 days a week. I would advice you to consider aerobic exercises like walking, jogging and skipping etc. 2. Eat diet rich in fiber like Green vegetables and fruits 3. Avoid deep-fried and oil rich foods 4. Avoid fast foods 5. Sleep well 6. Drink plenty of water. As you planned, do not intake more than 1200 calories per day. Calculate the calorific value of each food you intake. Always chew properly before you swallow. Avoid soda and other carbonated drinks Try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation. Do not skip breakfast. Please try all these for few weeks. You will note changes in your weight. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: How to achieve weight loss,post-menopause? 58 minutes later
Thank you. PArt of the problem with the calorie restriction is that i have a hard time getting in enough calcium. The calcium supplements cause GI upset and/or constipation. Can I get enough calcium by eating a lot of leafy greens along with two glasses of almond milk per day? If I increase the amount of leafy greens each day, which ones have the best calcium content per serving? I have read various answers on the internet. I also try to avoid added sugar and salt to avoid calcium loss and limit my alcohol intake to a glass of wine occasionally.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Dark leafy greens like spinach, XXXXXXX turnips Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes. You can take Dark leafy greens like spinach, XXXXXXX turnips, and collard greens and Almond with milk to increase your calcium level in blood. Further you can also take Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin XXXXXXX Corn Flakes, Soybeans, Dried Apricots, Oranges etc. You must reduce the alcohol use as well as sugar and salt intake. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin XXXXXXX Corn Flakes have lot of calcium in single serving. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.