Ask a Urologist   »  

How significant is a 0.7ng/ml PSA increase over 4 years as it relates to my chance of having prostate cancer?

I have the classic symptoms of stream, frequency, nocturia. Had a PSA taken in 2007 that came back at 6.7. Biopsy at that time was negative with no abnormalities. Fell through the cracks since then and had PSA taken during a wellness exam this month revealing a level of 7.4. Stream has decreased over the last four years, all other symptoms remain the same. DRE negative. Am scheduled for a second biopsy.

How significant is a .7ng/ml PSA increase over 4 years as it relates to my chance of having prostate cancer? It is my understanding that an increase of >.75ng/ml over a period of one year is of more concern. Can a "normal" increase in size of the prostate over four years in someone my age(55) account for this amount of a rise in PSA? My urologist did indicate that upon DRE, my prostate seemed larger than noted in 2007, that coupled with my decreased flow (while on Flowmax since 2007) indicates to me an increase in prostate size.

Your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later
Hello Jorear,

Your increased PSA in 2007 was a cause for worry and it is good that you have been biopsied at that point of time.

I would like to know the number of cores that were taken.

Your PSA has not increased appreciably over the years and your probability of having cancer is very low.

However, you are experiencing progressive worsening of symptoms and you should get operated for your prostate in time.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.