How should a mass be removed from the orbit?

I had a mass removed from the orbit, but not all was removed. It is benign. Should doctors use radiology to remove it?I am a female XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It depends on the diagnosis. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic It seems from the history that you had a mass removed from the orbit and it was a benign tumor and as mentioned it was partly removed. The decision to use radiotherapy depends on the diagnosis. Only the tumors which may recur or undergo malignant transformation require radiotherapy. Most of the benign tumors may not require complete removal or use of radiotherapy. Hence kindly let me know the diagnosis of the mass which was removed, so that I can answer your question accurately. Thank you
Follow-up: How should a mass be removed from the orbit? 14 hours later
I like what you have told me. This Mon Feb. 24, I see a Radiation Oncology Therapist in Memphis. I am reluctant to have radiation, as I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2007, took chemo, am in complete remission, with no side effects except neuropathy from having had Vincristin, and don't want ANYMORE PAIN OR SIDE EFFECTS. It has been 6 months or more since I first felt this mass, and I don't feel that it is growing now. which would probably mean I don't need to have anything done now. You said "Most of the benign tumors may not require COMPLETE removal or use of radiology. The problem is that the surgeon only removed part of the mass; it would have been better if that had not been done, requiring further treatment, treatment that might require radiation, pain, etc. I will write you after I have talked to this new doctor. Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you and please do write to me. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up. I thank you for your positive reply. I hope that you need not require further treatment. Please do talk with your doctor and inform me. We can later discuss the best mode of treatment available for you depending on your doctors reply and the diagnosis of the condition. Thank you
Follow-up: How should a mass be removed from the orbit? 29 hours later
The doctor who did surgery on my eye told me the mass was BENIGN LYMPHOID HYPERPLASIA OF THE ORBIT. I didn't tell you this when I gave you info about my eye. Does this change anything you have already told me? Thank you so much for this help.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment is steroids,radiotherapy,chemotherapy. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up. Benign lymphoid hyperplasia is a lymphoproliferative disease. It occurs in three forms, benign lymphoid hyperplasia, atypical lymphoid hyperplasia and non hodgkin's lymphoma. Since lymphoid hyperplasia of the orbit can be associated systemic lymphomas, they need to be folllowed up and treated accordingly. Benign lymphoid hyperplasia is the most benign and it has got the minimal risk of association with systemci lymphomas.The risk in benign lymphoid hyperplasia is only about 15% over 5 years. The treatment options are systemic steroids, local radiation and chemotherapy by Ritumaxib. Usually syustemic steroids are sufficient in benign lymphoid hyperplasia with radiotherapy and chemotherapy being more commonly required in other two varities. Since you had already non hodgkin's lymphoma the histopathology needs to be cross checked to confirm the diagnosis of benign lymphoid hyperplasia and it is not non hodgkin's lymphoma or its recurrence. Hence the decision in your case depends on the histological feature and the risk associated with it to decide whether treatment is required or not. Hence I advice you to discuss all this with your doctor and to attend regular follow up as adviced. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you