How safe is a hearing aid?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor, May I know how safe is the hearing aid instrument
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Dear Sir
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon.
Hearing aid is a amplication device used for hearing loss. It is pretty safe and is of great advantage in cases with hearing loss. It helps in improving communication skill of patients with hearing loss. As such there are no side effects due to long term usage.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow-up: How safe is a hearing aid? 1 hour later

thanks for advising my apprehensions. I was more worried from the continuous usage leading to any other side impediments.

We are based at J P Nagar 7th phase in Bangalore, so may I request you to recommende any good hearing aid center in and around J P Nagar or Jayanagar.

Also is there any time or assessment for prescribing the hearing aid.

Thanks for your advise.

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 29 hours later
Thanks for your follow up query

I would advise you for a good brand hearing aid - like Alps or siemens are good options. There are options like the behind the ear hearing aid, body worn hearing aid , in the canal hearing aid or completely in the canal hearing aid. Besides this there are digital and non digital hearing aids.

At your age I would suggest a behind the ear hearing aid (digital) of Alps or siemens. It is mandatory to get a pure tone audiometry done before a hearing aid is purchased as there are differnt hearing aids depending on the degree of hearing loss. I will not be able to help you about the place where you can find one. But if you look for a ALPS outlet at bangalore you can easily find it on google or you can write a mail to alps headquarters at delhi so that they can guide you about it.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma