How much of time HIV can survive in toilet water or it touches penis with semen?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
for how much of time HIV can survive in toilet water which is not flushed after use ? Can I be infected with HIV if that water touch my penis with semen (sometimes semen comes out when I strain in toilet) or if that toilet water touch my wound ?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 47 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

We can not tell exactly how much time HIV will survive in toilet water. If the menstrual blood of a HIV positive individual is spilled over the toilet, it may survive as long as the blood is wet. But any type of antiseptics, toilet cleaners, acids etc.will destroy the virus immediately. Moreover the chemical changes taking place in the toilet water also will affect the viral survival.
Splash of toilet water over your penis or even if it touches any wound in the seat area it will never cause an infection. The chances are negligible. No such incidence is reported. There must be adequate viral concentration should be there to cause a fresh infection. Even though saliva contains very low concentration of virus, it will not able to cause an infection. Similarly nobody will be able to get HIV infection through toilet water splash.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How much of time HIV can survive in toilet water or it touches penis with semen? 2 minutes later
thank u sir. sir, is it impossible that toilet water can contain high concentration of virus which is sufficient for infection ?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 minutes later

Welcome back.

The chances of HIV transmission through toilet water splash is negligible , almost nil.
No family member of a HIV positive patient got HIV through this means so far in my 27 years experience with HIV patients or from any literature from elsewhere.
So you need not to worry about this.
DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: How much of time HIV can survive in toilet water or it touches penis with semen? 5 minutes later
sir, if the said water touched any of my fresh wound is there still no chance of HIV ? What if the water is not cleaned by any toilet chemical can enough HIV survive there to infect by touching wound or semen (which sometimes comes during strain in toilet) ?
about which chemical changes you are saying for toilet water except washing with toilet cleaner ?

Can HIV survives longer in AC rooms (not in water) ? If so then up to how much of time on a solid substance(suppose any wood furniture on which some infected fluid is dropped) in AC room having infected fluid on it ?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Welcome back

Even if the contaminated toilet water touches a fresh wound or semen? (Came out of the body already) the HIV transmission is negligible only.

In toilet water continuous chemical changes will happen which decompose organic matter to an extent and Carbon dioxide and Hydrogen sulphide gas will be produced.
They are inimical to virus.

HIV cannot survive in any inanimate objects or solid objects other than body fluids and outside the human body even in AC rooms it cannot survive.

Imagine, if it is passing through toilet water and in AC rooms HIV statics in India with a huge population of 130 crores would be exploded with uncontrolable HIV population.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How much of time HIV can survive in toilet water or it touches penis with semen? 4 hours later
thank U sir.
Sir, U have mentioned that if the contaminated toilet water touches a fresh wound or semen? (Came out of the body already) the chance is negligible. I was talking about the semen which sometimes comes when I strain in toilet. Suppose it touched the semen which is on the top of my penis(after I strain in toilet) , is the chance of infection is still negligible ? If it touch any fresh wound is it still having very less chance of infection ? I am worried by thinking that what will happen to me if the infected water touch my semen which was just coming out of the penis at the head of the penis ? Is there still negligible chance ? Please help me sir.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Welcome.
I can understand your concern.

Once semen had come out of your organ (during straining for stools), even if it had come in contact with toilet water, infection cannot go inside your body through the fluid coming out of your body. It is totally impossible.
Once again I assure you that even a fresh wound has come in touch with the toilet water the chances for HIV transmission is negligible only.
There is no point in worrying unnecessarily.
Then you will go mad.
Relax, You are free from HIV.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: How much of time HIV can survive in toilet water or it touches penis with semen? 12 hours later
thank U sir. I here by attach my report of semen analysis . Please tell me whether I will be able to father a child or not. ? If not then is there anything serious in the report which can't be cured ?I masturbated 3/4 time within last 36 hours of the test. Is there any effect on the motility of sperm or any other factor ? I am afraid of the pus cell found in the semen. Is the number of pus cells very XXXXXXX or normal ? Can pus cells increases due to excess masturbation within last 36 hours of the test ? Please suggest me sir. i am worried
sorry sir if I have irritated U. But please help me. I have forgotten one more thing to explain U. After some time of the incident (flash of toilet water on my penis) I masturbated. Is your answer still same that I am having very negligible chance to get HIV from this ?

another question is- I here by attach my report of semen analysis . Please tell me whether I will be able to father a child or not. ? If not then is there anything serious in the report which can't be cured ?I masturbated 3/4 time within last 36 hours of the test. Is there any effect on the motility of sperm or any other factor ? I am afraid of the pus cell found in the semen. Is the number of pus cells very XXXXXXX or normal ? Can pus cells increases due to excess masturbation within last 36 hours of the test ? Please suggest me sir. hope U will be kind enough to reply me. once again sorry for disturbing U. Thank U again sir.

HI,

Welcome back.

Even if you masturbated after the splash of toilet water on your penis, still the chances of HIV transmission remains negligible only.

With regards to your seminal analysis report, it does not seem to be very perfect and lacks certain features. Before the seminal analysis one has to abstain from all sorts of sexual activity at least for 3 days. Otherwise the test results are not so reliable.
Presence of pus cells 4-6 need not be taken as a serious one. Frequent masturbation would not increase the pus cells but decrease the sperm concentration. Motility of the sperm is not adequate. Certain features like liquefaction time and odor are not mentioned and abnormality usually expressed in percentage.

You consult an Urologist or a infertility expert and under his guidance you have to do the investigations and he/she will examine you and find out the cause for decreased motility and rectify the same with appropriate drugs.
DR S.Murugan