How long will the stomach take to heal after Helicobacteria Pylori?

I wonder how long will take to heal stomach after Helicobacteria Pylori? I had antibiotic treatment, high dosage and after that still acid pain, which I am taking one month Lansoprazole 30mg daily,but putting a lot of weight on...well on top on this restarted valporic acid 150mg, now 300mg...
I am after half way with Lansoprazole and still can have acidic pain early in the morning, when I don't eat regulary day before.What would be best option to move forward?thanks
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 5 hours later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to answer you concern.

Based on the information the treatment do not include any antibiotics for treating Helicobacter pylori, the lansoprazole is drug given for reducing acidity. and valporic acid is for biopolar disorder.

Normally the treatment for H. Pylori takes 7-14 days with multiple drugs regimen.

Now the answer for acidity treatment has various modalities.
1) diet modification (decrease alcohol, coffee, tea, non veg food, citrus food and spicy food intake especially around bed time)
2) drug treatment you are currently taking, and can add antacids.
3) drinking milk will help reduce acidity.
Follow-up: How long will the stomach take to heal after Helicobacteria Pylori? 19 hours later
Hi doctor and thank you. I took dosage of antibiotics for a week, but still feel acidic inflammation,therefore taking Lansoprazole. Seems like I have acidic problem despite medication and is making me eat ever so often. Would you suggest any tests as to find out if I have any ulcer, bacteria or any other problem.
I almost eliminated tea as I learn it just was making me worse, cut on coffee.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 29 hours later

Following are the test, which I can recommend for high acid production issues.

1) There is a 'noninvasive' test called “urea breath test" needs to be done to figure out the presence of H. Pylori infection.

2) The other test in an 'invasive' called "Endoscopy and Biopsy", in which the tube with camera is passed from mouth to see the stomach inner lining and visually confirm the presence of ulcer and biopsy can be taken.

3) Gastrin enzyme test can be done to figure out if there is excess production of gastrin hormone.

Now about the antibiotics taken for one week, Normally the H.pylori are notorious bacteria and they need a antibiotic treatment for minimum of 2 weeks in most of the cases and the progress of the status can be monitored via "UREA BREATH test".

It’s very good that you stopped having tea and are cutting down on coffee, I will recommend to have some milk at bed time, which will help to keep your acidity low in the night.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any other concern/ doubt.

Thanks again