How long the cytotec 200mg stay in the bloodstream?

Mar 2016

How long the cytotec200mg (for abortion) will stay in the bloodstream I mean the detection time for this medicine?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. S Patra 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

Misoprostol is a short acting drug and exits the blood stream after 48 hrs.There is no standard tests to detect it in the body system.

In addition, you should know certain things like :

1) Repeated medical/ surgical abortions are harmful for the mother and may cause serious infection or death.
2) Plan your next pregnancy 1-2 months after last miscarriage and with commence of regular period.
3) In case of completed family, you need to take permanent method of contraception.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish good health in future.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: How long the cytotec 200mg stay in the bloodstream? 17 hours later
Dear .
I’d like to thank you for your quick answer and its clear, I’d like to know how long time required to show negative result (not pregnant ) for the pregnancy test and when she’ll get the period(menstrual cycle) again , and if this abortion is going to affect the future pregnancy or not?

Thanks again for your response.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for follow up query. I am giving answer according to your questions.

1) Positive pregnancy test depends on beta HCG hormone. In general, negative result is achieved within 4 weeks following medical/ surgical abortion. But in case of intrauterine retained bits (possible with drug induced abortion), she may get positive result even after 4 weeks. Therefore, one ultrasound scan (USG) is recommended after medical abortion to check complete evacuation of uterus.

2) She can expect a normal period within 4 to 8 weeks after the abortion. But we cannot predict exactly when she will get her period as pregnancy & abortion affect menstrual cycle.

3) In most cases, medical abortion does not affect future pregnancy at all. But in case of surgical abortion (D & C), it may cause infertility or conceiving problem, specially those women who have no previous children. Other risks include repeated abortion, preterm delivery, intrauterine infection/ sepsis, tubal blockage etc.

Therefore, it is recommended that you can plan your next pregnancy after a gap of 2-3 months with complete healed up of uterine lining tissue & commencement of normal period. Alon with taking Vitamin-E & folic acid supplements are much essential in preconception period.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care of her.

Dr Soumen