How long should i use disposable underwear to avoid recurring jock itch?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i was told to wear disposable underwear for reacuring jockitch because it absorbs moisture and you throw them away (less chance of reinfecting) how long shpuld i do this . it seens to be helping
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 12 minutes later

Regular clean underwear help by absorbing sweat and hence your Doctor has rightly advised to wear disposable, soft, non-irritating underwear. It is better to wear the same till the lesions are responding to the treatment. After that you can start wearing new underwear and change them everyday.

Jock-itch or tinea crura is a fungal infection which is caused due to improper hygiene at the groin and inner thigh area. This causes sweat accumulation and fungal infection as a result.

You need to keep that area clean and dry. Avoid exposure to sunlight. Change underwear daily. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. And avoid scratching the lesions.

I hope you are using antifungal medications too. Anti-fungal powder/ointment are available both as prescribed as well as over the counter preparation. You may need to apply on the affected areas. They are available as oral tablets which can be taken and aid in the cure.

It would take around 4-6 months for complete cure once you adhere to the treatment instructions well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: How long should i use disposable underwear to avoid recurring jock itch? 36 hours later
i 'm using the anti fungal cream along with cleaning and changing twice a day
just wondering if i could use desatin also
i work 12-14 hours a day and can't do anything during those hours, will it help with discomfort
thats why i was told to use disposable because thy would absorb a lot of moisture
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

I can understand the situation which is how you were prone to getting this problem. You may use Desitin on areas of rash but I would recommend Calamine medication cream to be applied as this is soothing to the skin.

Yes, You can use the disposable underwear as recommended till your lesions have improved considerably.

You can discuss with your Dermatologist on when to stop using it, according to how you are responding to the treatment.

can minor incontinance ( dribbles or a squirt) contribute to jochitch because i do take a shower everyday and clean and change my underwear. but since i'v been wearing disposable undies for a while it seems to be clearing up faster.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Yes, if urine or anything which increase wetness and moisture can aggravate the situation. In such cases, gently XXXXXXX dry the region if much urine has been spilled.

It's good to know that there is resolution. Since it is responding, do continue till the lesions are visibly cleared off.

Avoid sweat accumulation, sun exposure. Keep the region clean and dry.

Eat healthy. Exercise daily.

Wishing you good health