How long does it take to cure adenoid?

ENT Specialist
Hello dr My son adenoid and under meatspary just started from 2 days as antibiotic is stopped he gets sleep difficult. He z 3.5 yr and levocetrizen mont tab he z taking with Zeva multivitamin multi mineral, and antioxident tonic. He got adenoid in november just befor that he had urine infection by strep.aureus which is completely treatrd by antibiotics, that time he had some bedwettings though I used diaper during urine infection some times our bed got wet, is that same strep.aureus causing his adenoids because once we stop antibiotic he gets adenoids immediatly. Im changing bed sheets twice a day, he is getting levocetrizen mont from nearly a month so it is not due to allergy.z my bed is contaminated? What foods I have to give more to increase his immunity because now it is the only option and my dr says if not responding to metaspray we should go for surgery
Posted Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Long term medication helps avoid surgery. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. At least 10-15 days of continuous use of the medication, including the nasal spray are required to get the full benefit. Add supervised steam inhalation. A mucolytic may help. The medication should be tapered over 2-3 months (avoiding the spray temporarily if an acute infection and fever develop). 2. Adenoid enlargement is normal between the ages of 3-7 years. A nasal and throat swab can help confirm if it is the same or resistant form of the bacteria. 3. Get a baseline reference X-ray of the adenoids done and repeat after three months. You may follow up directly at 4. Measures for avoiding bed wetting should be taken in consultation with your pediatrician. 5. With long term medication you may be able to avoid surgery. If the symptoms worsen in spite of maximum medication, coblation adenoidectomy is a good option. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow-up: How long does it take to cure adenoid? 1 hour later
Thank u sir there is no bed wetting now, it was der during urine infection but now he is normal now. X ray I have attavhed. Im doing steam inhalation 3 times daily from a month with vaporub. What food I need to give more for increasing his immunity. Will blood test help to find infection now than swab, he has no fever has little cold that developed just 3 days back and citrize z prescribed by his dr.he z active day time but with mouth breathing and has difficult only in night, with sternal dips and disturbance.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. There is adenoid hypertrophy seen in the X-ray, however it is normal at this age. 2. It is good to hear that the bed wetting is not there now. 3. Vaporub is not necessary. Plain steam is adequate. 4. Regular home food is fine. Add a multi-vitamin such as Syrup Visyneral and Syrup Shelcal once a day. 5. Blood tests and the swab, if normal, indicate that the infection is gone. 6. Re-evaluate his breathing distress after 15 days. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.