How long does it take dry mouth to resolve after stopping medicine?
User rating for this question
How long does it take dry mouth to resolve once you stop a medication?
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Dry mouth Detailed Answer: Generally speaking , if a given medication is responsible for causing dry mouth then the condition should improve within a week or so of stopping the medication. There is a scientific principle called half life of a medication in the blood that determines how long it stays in the body after discontinuation. So the time frame after which it can no longer cause any side effects is dependent on how long it stats in the body after stoppage. Are you referring to any specific medication ? Many a time dry mouth due to a medication is reversible phenomenon that improves once the medication is no longer being taken. However there are certain medications that can damage the salivary glands permanently and cause irreversible dry mouth. One such example is radioactive iodine that is given for treatment of thyroid cancer that has the potential to cause chronic dry mouth even if it is not taken continuously.
Follow-up: How long does it take dry mouth to resolve after stopping medicine? 32 minutes later
I just took prilosec and zantac.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Neither Detailed Answer: To the best of my knowledge, neither of these two medications is known to cause dry mouth
People also viewed
- How to solve dry mouth
- Faking a thyroid blood test
- Dry mouth after pneumonia
- Dry mouth after tonsillectomy
- What treatment is suggested to get rid of tobacco intake
- How to cure dry mouth
- Suggest medication for dx wrheumatoid arthritis
- Synthroid morning of fasting blood work
- Suggest a better alternative for metoprolol succ er
- Is there a medicine called red ball
- Fasting for blood work are meds ok
- Having eye pain due to watching tv
- Thyroid medication and fasting blood test
- Dry mouth after iud
- Hcg levelin blood and thyronorm