How long does dilated cardiomyopathy take to progress?

how long does dilated cardiomyopathy take to progress?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Varies from person to person Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. The progress of dilated cardiomyopathy depends on a different number of factors. The cause and management greatly determines what the progression over time would look like. For instance, if the cause is alcohol that can be controlled and future aggression stopped, then is progress would be better that that which is linked to genetics. Also, better management would be a major determinant as to whether the progression to complications like heart failure, arrhythmia, thrombus formation, etc would be fast or not. This is simply to say the mere diagnosis of dilated cardiomyopathy doesn't impose a duration about the progression. What these patients die of are the complications of this disease and not the disease itself. This is to say that a better prognosis can be labeled depending on what complications has developed. Others even die of other unrelated causes and not cardiomyopathy if well managed. But before waiting on complications to set in, active and adequate management is key to prevent complications for as long as possible. It is no surprised that many patients would spend more than decades with this condition. I hope you find the above information guiding enough to make an informed decision. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. I wish you the best of possible health. Thanks. Dr. Ditah MD.
Follow-up: How long does dilated cardiomyopathy take to progress? 12 minutes later
A friend of mine was diagnosed w dilated cardiomyopathy. He is 48 yes old and was told by the dr that it appears he has had it for some time due to the damage of the heart. He was a professional boxer in the past and has used steroids. I am aware of his steroid use as of last year, which included testosterone and trembolone. I am not sure the dr is aware of this. The dr was unsure the cause if his condition but stated it may have been due to a virus. Would an hiv test have been done to rule this out? I am unaware if he is negative or positive.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Brief Answer: HIV unlikely to present with Dilated cardiomyopahy Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this follow up details. HIV will rarely present as dilated cardiomyopathy. Unless he has had the condition for a while, it would rarely present as dilated cardiomyopathy. Please, encourage your friend to report this steroid abuse and any other drugs to the doctors. This may be very helpful towards providing adequate management to arrest progress and slowing down future complications. However, an HIV test is cheap and easy to be done. He should do it just to clear any doubts out of the way. But it would be unlikely that it turns out positive unless there re some other symptoms that you did not report. I wish him well. Thank you for your efforts. Feel free to ask for more information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.