How long does an yeast infection take to clear?

My 5 month old son had a yeast rash under/on his neck and on his face. Nystatin ointment wasn't working. So I applied coconut oil several times a day. This seemed to make it much worse. So I backed off how much I was using. Now I use it before and after bedtime. I apply XXXXXXX to keep everything dry. How long should this process take and am I going about it the right way?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 40 minutes later
Hi Williamson,

Fungal infection of body folds is common in childhood. It's mostly candidial in nature.
Other possible causes are seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp and face region and Atopic dermatitis.

A physical examination by a competent dermatologist can distinguish amongst the aforementioned condition. A picture of the affected area will be more informative and I would be able to help in predicting the condition if I have a picture. You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Sudarshan. Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

As Infantile skin is very sensitive and any topical application may futher aggravate the problem. My advise to you to first confirm the diagnosis of condition. I suggest you NOT to apply any XXXXXXX powder or coconut oil or any other home remedy without proper medical consultation.

Is it itchy?
Is it present in groin and perineal region or other areas?
Is he having fever ?

Please reply back with the above answers and mail the photos as this will help me in answering you better and confirming diagnosis.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: How long does an yeast infection take to clear? 2 hours later
I had taken my son to the dr for a well check. The pediatrician confirmed that it was a yeast rash combined with a rash due to drooling. He told me to continue nystatin. I called back telling them I didn't think it was working. They told me if it wasn't working it wasn't yeast and to put XXXXXXX diaper rash cream on his neck and the nystatin on his face. I had read about coconut oil on line and decided to give it a try. This is like the third day and it seems to be better on his neck but the face is pimple like, dry, and red. I'll try to get a pic sent. Its difficult to get a good one due to his age.
Follow-up: How long does an yeast infection take to clear? 46 minutes later
These were the best I could do. I also forgot to answer your questions. No fever and the rash is only on face and neck. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
Hello Williamson,

Thanks for sending me the pics, I have taken a good look at them.

It seems to suggest something like a Candidial Intertrigo.

Still the neck folds are not properly visualised in the pics.

As your pediatrician has confirmed it to be fungal in nature you can apply anti fungal cream on it.

Nystatin is a topical anti-fungal. If you have used it and it is not working you can apply clotrimazole cream and powder over the lesion.

Other anti-fungals available are terbinafin, sertaconazole, ketoconazole.

Clotrimazole is safest of all and you can use it by consulting your pediatrician.

You can also apply a very mild steroid like desonide or hydrocortisone along with it for the rash caused by drooling.

For dryness you can use coconut oil once a day in small quantity.

Keep the neck n face area clean.Wash it 3-4 times a day with lukewarm water.

Rash should fade away in 7 days.

Wishing your son speeedy recovery.