How long does Xanax take to cure panic attacks?

What is the usual amount of time for someone to be on xanax for panic attacks. I have been on a dosage of 0.25 mg three times daily for about three weeks. I am also starting to see a counselor for Cognitive behavioral therapy. I do not want to get dependent or addicted to the xanax. I see my Family dr. In two weeks for a follow up.which will be five weeks.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 5 hours later
Brief Answer: discuss with your family doctor about SSRI Detailed Answer: Hello Xanax can act on panic attacks immediately; but is a very addicting medicine. Usually Xanax is not the drug of choice but SSRI like Paroxetine or Sertraline is. I use Xanax very very sparingly to treat my patients with xanax and not as regular scheduled drugs as you are on now. Cognitive Behavior therapy is very effective. I suggest you discuss with your treating doctor when you consult him. It would be better if you are tapered off xanax. Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa