How long can the O+Ve blood be stored?

i heard that a O+Ve blood should be donated and used immediately in few mins.It is true and if it is true ,how long can the O+Ve blood be stored.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

What you have heard is NOT true. There are no such claims documented in medical books, journals and research papers.

Red blood cells which are the predominant cells in the blood have a life span of 120 days. Therefore any blood from blood bank irrespective of blood grouping and typing should be used within 120 days or earlier.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.