How is systemic infection treated ?

On his way for a vacation to the Dominican Republic, my son started to feel weak and dizzy on the plane. When he landed, his blood pressure was taken at that airport and was 142/110. He felt like he had a fever and barely made it to the hotel. The next day he felt better but after eating food, the same symptoms came back. He also felt dehydrated and felt better when he drank gator aid. The doctor at the hotel came and thought it might be some infection but could not do any tests unless he went to the hospital there. I then got tickets for him to come back to the US. On the way back, there was a 2 hour layover in XXXXXXX NC. He was feeling a 6 (0-10) then after eating something he got worse. The parametics at the airport took him by Amblance to the ER. Blood work, cbc + diff, chem panel, ekg, BP were all done. All tests were normal except his wbc was 14.0 and slightly elevated neutrophils. They gave him some food , IV 's electrolytes, anti nausea meds, and watched him for 3 hours. He felt better and went to a hotel. The next day he got on a plane and landed in Boston. The time frame for all of this was 1 week ago. Now he feels better, but occasionally feels weak and dizzy and still has the feeling like he has a fever which is off an on. He has an appt in a week with his PC physician. Other facts, unremarkable medical history, ate oysters and mussels before he left for vacation, lost 8 pounds over the course of a month (but he is a first year medical student and attributes this to 24/7 study with limited food intake). Any ideas ??
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Feeling weak repeatedly with intermittent low grade fever is most likely due to some systemic infection. His blood tests also showed a raised wbc count with slightly elevated neutrophils suggesting an infection.

I think he is recovery with such infection but unfortunately the organism causing such infection is not found yet. Fever causes dehydration if proper fluid intake is not maintained during that period. This can be reason for his continuing dizziness.

A detailed check up is required by a physician to find the likely area of infection according to which proper antibiotic needs to be selected for the treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.