How is swelling and bump on the head treated ?

My mother bumped her head on a hard blunt rack in the kitchen about five years ago. She had a bump there since. Recently the bump appeared to have increase a bit. She didn't get an x-ray. What is causing the bump to remain and what can she do?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Five years ago when your mother bumped her head she might have suffered a minor injury resulting in haematoma ( a collection of blood) which remained as it is without resolving for five years.
Now since the swelling has started increasing, there could be plenty of reasons like infection or a fresh injury or there might even be an osteoma which got noticed by chance after the injury.
A growing swelling definitely needs attention and needs to be examined properly.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.