How is sperm health improved ?

Dear Dr.
Medical History:Age 27,Height-5.7 Ft,Weight-90 Kg
Spouse-Age -24
Undergone hydrocele operation one year back(Injury)
Facts and query
My wife got conceived after 8 months after my marriage and 2 months from then she got aborted(Missed Abortion)...when i performed seman analysis before my marriage my count was around 45,volume was 1.5 and liquification time was more than an hour(i left it aside since she got conceived subsequently) after abortion it is 6 month i have again taken my seman analysis and result is as below(right hand side is biological reference and left is observed value)
only alarming thing is on liquification time which is more than 3 hrs as aganist one hour in my previous analysis

Mr. XXXXXXX E Reference:Dr..
Collected On:
29/07/2011 09:18 AM
Tel No: 0000 Registered On:
29/07/2011 09:18 AM
PID NO: 0000 Reported On:
Age:27.00 Sex:MALE 29/07/2011 05:56 PM
Place of collection :- At Lab Specimen Collected at :- 9.13 am
Abstinence :- 3 days Specimen Examined at :- 9.45 am
Test Description Observed Value Biological Ref. Interval
Volume :- 6.0 ml 2.0 ml or more
pH :- 8.0 7.2 or more
Colour :- Opalescent, Greyish white Opalescent, Greyish white
Liquefaction :- More than 3 hrs Complete within 60 min.
Viscosity :- Highly viscous < 2 cms thread
Fructose Test :- Positive Positive
Viability :- 75% 75 % or more
Sperm count (Millions / ml) 45 millions/ml 40 millions/ml or more
Sperm count per ejaculate 270 millions/ejaculate More than 40
a) Rapid forward Progression 60% > 25 %
b) Sluggish forward Progression 15%
Total forward Progression (a+b) 75% > 50 % (a + b)
c) Non Progressive 25% < 20 %
d) Non Motile 00% 0
Normal Sperms 80 % >30%
Abnormal Head 12 %
Abnormal Neck 0 %
Abnormal Tail 8 %
Immature Germ Cells
Leucocytes Occasional
Epithelial Cells Nil
Red Blood Cells Nil
Candida/Trichomonads Nil
Agglutination of Sperms Not present NOT PRESENT
Crystals Not present
Grams Staining : No organism seen.

What is the reason for the long liquification time?Would this factor restrict me to become a father?If yes my wife conceived earlier with the same factors?
Cure for the same ?
Do i have any other factor (In the report) which is restricting me in becoming a father?
Dr. Your Advice on the same would be highly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

In normal semen, it normally takes less than 20 minutes for the sample to change from a thick gel into a liquid which is the liquefaction time.

An abnormally long liquefaction (more than 30 minutes at 24°C) time may indicate an infection, however the criteria is different for NICE. It states that a liquefaction time within 60 minutes is regarded as within normal ranges. In your case, the liquefaction time seems to be prolonged.

For further evaluation, you need to consult a fertility specialist and you and your partner need to get sperm-cervical mucus interactions which include the post-coital test, the sperm cervical mucus contact test and the in vitro sperm-cervical mucus penetration assay done.

Whether you will be able to father a child or not depends on that. In vitro fertilization can be employed if the test results come abnormal.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables.

Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How is sperm health improved ? 1 hour later
Respected Dr.

Normally what is the reason for this delayed liquification?The treatment which you have told is way out to find my infection?

Is there any supplement treatment for this?

Is there anything else which is abnormal in my report?

would my spermcount suffice?

Thanks for writing again.

Delayed liquefaction can be due to an infection or an inborn disorder of the protein present in the semen or may be idiopathic- without any detectable disease.

To detect the presence of any infection, you can go for semen culture although it is not a likely cause in your case as there are not many pus cells present on microscopic examination.

Rest all the findings in your report are normal.

If post- coital test (PCT) function report is normal then no further treatment of Delayed Liquefaction is needed. If sperm are capable of reaching the cervical mucus, problems of semen liquefaction are not clinically relevant.

It can be cured with medications but need to see an Infertility specialist for complete evaluation and treatment accordingly. There is as such no specific supplement known to decrease the liquefaction time.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: How is sperm health improved ? 15 hours later
Dear Dr.

Last question to you...

Thanks for your advice,

Can you give me supplements for improving my sperm count as it is in borders.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Some of the do's and the don'ts for improving sperm health.

Dont Sit in hot tubs – Your testicles hang outside your body because sperm like it cooler than 98.6°F. Body temperature and above can kill sperm.
Smoke – Smoking is associated with low sperm counts, decreased motility, and a higher incidence of miscarriages. The toxic reactive oxygen species from smoking do damage sperm.
Drinks – Most experts recommend that you avoid excessive alcohol consumption. You probably do not need to completely abstain but you should drink moderately.
Exercise too strenuously – Strenuous exercise may increase the temperature of your testicles. It may also cause changes in testosterone levels that lead to decreased production of sperm.
Do Take Nutritional Supplements – The following supplements have been recommended to enhance sperm production:
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Coenzyme Q-10
Folic Acid 400mg
You might also consider adding some lean read meat to your diet.
Red meat is good source of L-Carnitine, thus the name.
Some suggest eating two or three servings of red meat per week to improve sperm health and sperm production.
Stay Healthy and Fit – Moderate exercise will always help.
Anything that improves a man's general health is good for his sperm.
Get plenty of rest.
Drink plenty of liquids.
Minimize stress.

Ejaculate frequently – Try to ejaculate every 24 to 48 hours. Sperm production is similar to breast milk production. The more you use the more you produce.
Hope this will be helpful.