How is sjogren's syndrome treated ?

What is cause and treatment for slimy saliva in 65 year old female? I AM 5 FT 2 weight about 180 and take meds for high cholesteral and high blood pressure, all under control. I take the following meds daily 1 40mg Pravastatin, 1 50mg metoprolol, 1 12.5mg hydrochlorothiazide, and 1 325 aspirin.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A slimy feel to the mouth is most often the result of diminished salivary flow. This condition of dry mouth may occur as a result of either primary salivary gland disease (e.g., Sjogren's syndrome), or may be it is the normal diminution of salivary flow that accompanies aging.

Other possible causes include anxiety, dehydration due to poor fluid intake, breathing through the mouth excessively, intake of alcoholic beverages, certain medications, damage to the salivary glands due to trauma, radiation therapy, etc.

Some remedies to minimize your discomfort includes-
1.Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum
2.Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist-this you are already trying.
3. Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your dentist regularly
4. Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible
5. Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air
6. Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute.

In addition to these, you need to find the cause after examination by your physician and get the cause treated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.