How is pain under the ribcage treated ?

43 yr old female, I have pain under my left ribcage. It is sharp and has grown more uncomfortable the past three days. I eat a gluten free and low sugar diet, and take a low dose of levoxl for autoimmune thyroid disease. Two weeks ago, had a low grade fever on and off for several days. Thought it was stress related because my upstairs AC went out and I slept downstairs on couch for a little over a week waiting for parts, etc for the new unit.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 48 minutes later

With prior history of fever for a few days, the pain in your ribcage could be due to the following issues :-

1. The pain could be musculoskeletal inflammation - if it increases on specific movements or actions of the body, or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

2. Pneumonitis OR pleuritis : if the pain increases on XXXXXXX breaths and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc.
This condition can be managed with rest for a few days, Ibuprofen (dosage as mentioned above), Clarityn tablets once a day for a few days.

In case the symptoms fail to improve , you might need a few blood tests and a Chest Xray to rule out pneumonia.

You might consider to consult your doctor for a physical examination and the above tests, based on which he might prescribe a course of antibiotics for a few days.

I hope this helps.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.