How is localized ballooning on the chest treated ?

Question
When doing sit-ups, I get localized ballooning on my chest.
I am 75,5ft 10, weigh 188, relatively good health .
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Localized ballooning of chest during sit ups can be caused by muscle soreness from lactate buildup, gastrointestinal stress or symptoms of abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Considering your age and symptoms the possibility of aortic aneurysm should be ruled out which is a weakened and bulging area in the aorta, the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body. These often grow slowly and usually without symptoms, making them difficult to detect.

You need to consult a doctor and get chest x-ray, CT scan, echocardiogram and maybe a magnetic artery angiogram (if the above said tests are not normal). Also get your blood pressure evaluated at regular intervals. Although you are taking Lisinopril, yet sometimes they aren't enough to control your blood pressure.

Hence in that case an additional antihypertensive may need to be added.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How is localized ballooning on the chest treated ? 10 hours later
Thank you for your timely response-
my BP is checked often- I take a very small amount of lisinopril
(20 mg every other day) & is in a normal range.
I do not have muscle soreness.
So- my question is; can I wait till a week from weds.(8/10/11)
to see my Dr. for my annual physical- or try to make an earlier
appt. due to the current circumstances.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can wait till Wednesday and then consult your doctor for annual physical examination.

Follow-up: How is localized ballooning on the chest treated ? 6 hours later
Just one more item- Would moderate lifting
make the condition worse ?
Thank you,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

I believe moderate lifting shouldn't cause any problem and you can do it safely.

For lifting anything like a bucket or some carry bag, you should preferably bend your knees and pick it up instead of bending your spine.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.