Ask a Urologist   »  

How is klebsiella aerogenes treated ?

I am 25 year old girl. I experienced burning sensation and pain while urinating 3 months back and i consulted a doctor for the same. She suggested a urine culture test. The result was-Klebsiella aerogenes grown in culture, colony count 10^6 CFY/ml. She suggested Cifran 500 mg twice a day for 10 days and becelac capsules once a day for 10 days. The problem subsided at that time. But, it keeps on recurring and i don't know what to do as it gets very uncomfortable and painful. It does not recur everytime when my partner and i have intercourse. As per the doctor's suggestion my partner was also suggested a urine culture, but his tests were normal. Please help as when i consulted another doctor, she suggested the same medicines. The problem started in Feb, 2011 and till Aug, 2011 does not seem to go away.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 53 minutes later
Hi Shagun,

Klebsiella aerogenes is one of the most common cause of UTI. It is resistant to many antibiotics and sometimes requires combination of medications for a prolonged period until fully cured.

Some measures which can help you:
1)Drink lots of water.

2)Empty the bladder completely as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.

3)Pass the urine before and after intercourse.

4)Wear loose cotton undergarments and wash them in antiseptic solution.

5)Take Cranberry juice as it inhibits bladder infection.

6)Take Vitamin C tablet Celin once a day for few months. It will help in increasing your immunity.

Consider visiting a Urologist for evaluation and mention about the recurrent infection. Also consider doing a USG scan to rule out any kidney infection.

Please do practice safe sexual practices like using a condom, so that both you and your partner do not co-infect each other.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up in case of any doubt.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: How is klebsiella aerogenes treated ? 29 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Would you suggest that i repeat the previous treatment once again??

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hello Shagun,

Thanks for the follow up

I do not think that a repeat treatment with the same medications would be beneficial, as you had them already twice before.

Consider getting the investigations done and then accordingly combination of medications would be beneficial.

I sincerely hope this helps!

Wishing you Good health!