How is high blood pressure treated ?

is my blood pressure of 142 over 104 very high? I have been reating & cannot sleep- have been under MAJOR stress last 3 days. I have pulomonary embolisms - was in ICU until last feb 10th & am on warfarin.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 22 minutes later
Hi Dollyfox,

The significance of a blood pressure reading depends on various other factors - age, weight and height, family history, associated illness like diabetes, kidney and arterial disorder.

Type of personality and stress influence blood pressure significantly. I suggest you to re record the blood pressures again and take many readings preferably after ample rest.

Though the current readings are above limits, considering the influence of stress factors you need not be concerned. Consult your primary physician with sequential pressure recordings.

Blood pressure readings ideally needs to be kept around 120/80mmHg. Value of 142/104 is categorized as stage 1 Hypertension and entails treatment. Treatment may either be use of anti hypertensive medications and/or life style modifications. Salt restriction is also beneficial. Reduce your anxiety. This will additionally help in bringing blood pressures down.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I will be available to answer follow up query if any.