How is gestational age calculated?

After 7 weeks 5 days gestational period my wifes usg report of uterus showing that gestational sac measuring about 5 mm in diameter and no definite,fetal pole or cardiac pulsation noted in sac during scan.what does it signifies? and from which day the gestational period counts?my wifes last period starting date was 7th December 2013.but at that time I was out of station and we had our intercourse after 21st,which date will be considered as gestational period starting date.and what is recent gestational period ?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: probable missed abortion Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX The gestational age is calculated from the last menstrual period. If her lmp was 7th dec, then she should be 7 weeks 4 days now.Now, as for the usg report, by 6-7 weeks, the fetal pole and cardiac motion is usually seen. If not, its termed a missed abortion. And termination is advised. You can wait another week, and repeat the usg. By then she will be 8 weeks plus, and if still no pole or cardiac motion is seen, termination is advised.
Follow-up: How is gestational age calculated? 8 hours later
Is there any chance of getting fetal pole & cardiac motion in next Usg.what is probable cause for not showing cardiac motion and fetal pole ?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer: less probable Detailed Answer: Well, probability is low. By 7weeks, cardiac motion is definitely there amd fetal pole is usually seen earlier. Although chances are low, you can still take a chance and repeat the scan after a week. There are many reasons for this happening but its usually chromosomal.
Follow-up: How is gestational age calculated? 4 minutes later
So,how can it overcome next time.will this situation come again in next time?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: difficult to say Detailed Answer: This is something nobody can predict. It may happen to anyone. But if it happens a second time, your wife may want to get tested for certain infections like rubella,toxoplasmosis etc. These infections may sometimes cause early pregnancy loss. The test is called TORCH. Your doctor can presribe it.
Follow-up: How is gestational age calculated? 4 hours later
Lastly mam,if next Usg report does not show any positive sign then what should I do.and also please suggest me after how many days we should try for next time?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: at least 3 months Detailed Answer: If the next ush doesnt show any cardiac activity, then you will have to undergo a termination. Your doctor will advise you the same. Wait at least 3 months before trying again. Take a high protein diet and high iron diet. Eggs, fish, soy, vegetables.