How is dry cough and mucus in the throat treated ?

My problem= a 3 year old condition of dry cough and much mucous in the throat.

I am female age 70, wt 135 lbs., ht 5ft 4, only medication is beta blocker prescribed last 20 months. I take XXXXXXX vitamins and calcium.

Symptoms of 3 years = stiff neck left side, left side of face tingles 24/7, left corner of mouth and eye on left side of face feels drawn but does not appear such in mirror. Much mucous in throat that can not be coughed up so constantly swallowing to keep it down which at night time keeps me awake. For this mucous problem, family physician gave me a powerful antibiotic for sinus which was no help. Left ear feels like fluid moving internally but none appears externally. Have a dripping nose most of the time. I have a left side mastoid from childhood. I have never had any allergies living 70 years on a farm. The constant coughing and swallowing & lack of sleep makes me weary.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 36 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis which is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses. Post nasal drip trickling down the throat causing excessive mucus could be the result of sinusitis.

The best way to get rid of this is to use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever). But these are to be used for 5-7 days at a time.
You may also use nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription.

In such cases prevention is always better than cure. There are some general measures that can help you in reducing the problem-
1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2.Start an antiinflammatory agent like montelukast after consulting your physician.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
4. Take steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6.Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves inflammation to some extent.
7.Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
8.Use a humidifier in your room.

You might also be having a lowered immune system which predisposes you to frequent infections soon. Poor diet and low iron contents causing anemia may cause lack of essential nutrients which may make the body less fit to fight germs. Eating a healthy, balanced diet and hydrating the body with plenty of water can help your immune system be stronger.

You can have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.
Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths and swimming also help a lot.

"I also encourage you to consult your doctor to rule out chronic sinusitis which needs endoscopic sinus surgery to treat the problem and cure the condition".

The drawn face and tingling on left side of the face with feeling of fluid in the left ear might be due to irritation or partial weakness of your facial nerve. Consulting a neurologist will benefit you. Oral or local steroids might be needed for treatment.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.