How is depression treated ?

I am a 24 yr old male (height - 6 ft; weight - 78 kg) and have been working for the past 2 years post UG. I have always had the knack for starting something well say, taking up a job/project or starting with the first rank in class (inconsistently) and giving my best at the beginning but have found this interest during the finishing stages non existent. It's like i have burn-outs (mentally) within the project execution time. I am a design engineer (it is a sedentary job) and this is affecting my work quite severely wherein i was praised and encouraged at the beginning for my enthusiasm but now i am regarded as one of the least productive (this has happened to me throughout school and college). I now find the job monotonous and stressful (which is a fact) but have not been able to come to terms with it even if i want to. Hating the work notwithstanding i am now planning to pursue something i wouldn't have burnouts in say music or prepare for my higher studies (MBA) and other such interests but am not sure about which one to take or will i pursue it till the end with equal dedication. I have become quite pessimistic and have regular cycles of depression, especially at work, when i don't feel like interacting with anyone. In school and college i was always involved with multiple activities but the downfall started after average results in my exams (again bad finish). Also i stay with a colleague and away from home. Do i have ADD or am i making excuses? Please help.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

The symptoms you are having like loss of interest in work, self degradation, pessimistic feelings, etc are more suggestive of depression. ADD is not associated with decreased interest in other people and feelings of self degradation.

You need to remain close to your family and friends with whom you can talk and share your feelings and difficulties. Other than that some simple measures that can help you include-
1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, etc.
2. Do a regular workout or exercise like aerobics.
3. Decrease sugar intake in your diet.
4. Indulge in some interesting hobbies.
5. Listen to music, go to parks or picnics with friends, etc.
These will relax your tension to a large extent and you will find your life interesting. There are some drugs which can help you in early recovery but need to see a psychiatrist for complete examination and prescription.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.