How is chronic diarrhea and cramps treated ?

I am a 51 yr. old female and have been having chronic diarrhea/cramping for the past 2 months. Blood tests and stool samples came back normal. (Im not sure what exactly they tested for). I am 5'3" and 175#. Have been gaining weight rapidly. I have lost no weight with the diarrhea although everything I eat seems to go right through. I have not had any serious illnesses.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Your gastroenterologist may have tested you for Stool (Routine & Micro) and Stool for occult blood. The blood test would be Complete Blood Count. Normally infection in intestine would lead to rise in White Blood Cells and Polymorphs (Neutrophils).

As you are gaining weight irrespective of the chronic diarrhea it would be better to get your Thyroid Function Test done. Normally Hypothyroidism is associated with rapid weight gain and constipation (not diarrhea). But still it would be better to rule out this cause.

The other possibility could be weight loss. Few investigations required are Colonscopy and tissue biopsy. It would be better to get examined by a gastroenterologist as this is a diagnosis of exclusion and has to be treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.