How is Urticaria treated ?

Hi Am Naveen. Am suffering from Urticaria from past 1 year. Many times i get red eruptions on my skin specially on my back and face. These red spots are almost like pimples. I observed that am allergic to edible oil. Can one of the skin specialists cure this disease.

My Age - 28, weight 70 kg
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Follow-up: How is Urticaria treated ? 14 minutes later
Could you please suggest me a Nutritious Vegetarian diet for good health.
Can you provide me a nutritious Vegetarian DIET CHART which I can follow up periodically.

My age - 28
My Weight - 70
Gender - Male

you can reach me at 91 0000

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for the query,

Urticaria is a chronic problem and its very difficult to find the exact cause to it.Apart from allergies ,it can also be due to infection in the body.The most common site of infection can be either teeth (tooth decay) or stomach infection (worms).Even a long standing fungal infection in the body can cause urticaria.

There are other different types of urticaria as well like physical urticaria (due to pressure) ,cholinergic uritacaria (due to warm water or sweat-exercise induced ) etc.

As you have mentioned that you are allergic to edible oil ,May i know when did you perceive the same.
Most of times immunological allergic testing in such cases done where in patients serum is tested for all the veg and non-veg food items, pollens, contacts, dander , dust,insects,drugs etc. With this we can come to know the most probable allergen causing urticaria.

At times urticaria is associated with thyroid problem also ,so kindly rule that out too.

So when dealing with urticaria one should rule out all infections in the body right from de-worming the body to giving antibiotics or immuno-modulators .

Apart from this , treatment obviously consists of giving anti-histaminics ,which you are already on.Both desloratidine and cetrizine are good medicines for urticaria.The dose of cetrizine can even be doubled if needed. These medicines need to be continued for long.various other combinations are also available with anti-histaminics like with ranitidine and monteleucast which can be tried in urticaria.

According to the allergic testing report we can treat patients by Immunotherapy as well , which is nothing but sub cutaneous injections of substances which have come positive in the test .These are given in metered doses .

Its rare that a person is allergic to only one thing ,usually multiple things are involved .

In the second part of your question you have asked for a diet chart .I am not a dietitian,but being a dermatologist and looking at the problem you are facing I can give you few tips.
Kindly avoid vegetables which are seed bearing like beans ,lady finger,brinjals,drum sticks etc. Other most common allergens are curd & yeast .

Otherwise you should take a balanced diet containing equal amount of carbohydrate and proteins.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.