How is PCOS and infertility controlled ?

Hi, last july i came to know that i am PCOS patient. i got treatment for 6 months. since then my periods were regular but with heavy bleeding for 5-6 days. But last week i again gained wait on my abdomen which tensed me. that was duration of my periods and this time bleeding was for only 3 days.
Also i want to mention that I was suffering from Low BP during last week.
Now i am having pain in back(lower).
Please tell me what i should do to get rid of this ? also my main concern is pregnancy. Can i be able to get pregnant ever in my life. Should i wait for sometime so that my pregnancy be smooth one ?
Please help me clearing my doubts.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

PCOS is a pretty common condition nowadays.The main problem with this is infertility and diabetes.If your blood sugar is normal then thats good news.Since you have been taking treatment for PCOS since 6 mths,your periods are regular.That is also good news.PCOS remains throughout life but it can be managed with medication.Weight gain,as i am sure you know,is a common symptom.Also with high blood sugar,you can gain weight.If you havent had your blood sugar checked,please do.
Now about pregnancy,many people do have kids with PCOS.The pregnancy needs to be planned and you might need the help of a gynaecologist.If you are ready to start a family,then you should start planning the pregnancy now.
You may need ovulation induction drugs to help in conception.Continue with the other drugs you are taking.
Regularizing your cycles was the first step.
Next would be ovulation induction with drugs.
So see a gynecologist about that.
The low bp shouldn't be related to this.But if you are having heavy blood loss,then anemia should be ruled out as it can cause low bp.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: How is PCOS and infertility controlled ? 9 hours later
Thanks for your precious advice. one more small thing as currently my periods are regular so should i planned pregnancy as soon as possible so that it may have less complications and require less medications. Please let me know if you have contact of a good Gynecologist in Delhi. Also if possible for you give me the list of tests that i should do before reaching out to her. Also if possible give me your contact and address of clinic.
Thank you very much in advance.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 minutes later

Glad to hear you again.

If all your symptoms are under control, then you can plan your pregnancy (if you are ready for a family). By symptoms I mean regular periods and controlled blood sugar.

You need to undergo ovulation study. This determines whether you are ovulating or not. You can get this test done through your doctor. If you are not ovulating, then you will be prescribed ovulation induction drugs.

If want to try naturally, you can attempt that for a couple of months first before seeing a doctor. Count day 1 as the first day of your menses. In a regular 28 day cycle the fertile days would be between day 11-16. So intercourse during these days are more fruitful. If you do not concieve after a few months, then you will require the help of the fertility specialist. I'm afraid I cannot give you any names in Delhi now. But if I come across good experts, I will pass them on to you.

Wish you good health and success.