How is HIV transmitted?

Worried about HIV with Contacted blood in cuts Hi All, My English not good, please help me on this. December 26th I have gone for MRI Scan about my spine problem, before me one women took MRI Scan test for brain and later I took the test however I have noticed some blood in my middle finger, I don’t know where it was came to and I have noticed small pimple in my face with blood. Just now I came to know that she was infected with HIV positive. I don’t know whether she is bleeding blood or not. It is my thinking: I thought if blood at MRI Scan table bed sheet and same attached to middle finger, with same finger blood scratch the pimple in face and get blood. She was died recently and now my worries are like non stoppable. At 17 days I have done PCR DNA negative I am worried lot for few thinks 1) If she Belding the blood and same I attached to middle figure and I have attached to my pimple blood, what are changes to get HIV? 2) How much percentage of risk to get infected that to me? 3) Shall I go for test? 4) Does virus will survive at MRI radiations 5) Any suggestions
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chance of infection is very, very meagre.. Detailed Answer: Hi, At the outset, I advice you not to worry. Chance of HIV through the described set of events is very, very, very meagre. I would rate your chances as almost nil. I have not heard or read about HIV transmissions indirectly from such means. To validate further, presuming the blood was from the infected lady: 1. Viral particles on a small stain of blood is usually not very high to cause infection. 2. HIV virus is a highly fragile virus. It dies in few minutes of contact with external environment. I am pretty sure it wouldn't have survived radiations within the MRI room though the radiations are not very strong. 3. Even if it had survived during the whole course of scan up to your scratching event, chances of it causing infection is said to be less than 1% 4. The current DNA PCR tests are developed from recent state of art and they are extremely sensitive. It hardly gives false negative result. And so there is no scope to doubt the negative result on 17th day. I hope these facts help you realize that you will not be infected. So in my opinion, you should not be worried anymore. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: How is HIV transmitted? 21 minutes later
Hi, Thanks for reassurance, MRI test took more than 20 mints to me and after I have changed the lab dress , while I am waiting for MRI report my hands were scratching some pimple in face at the point I had seen dried blood( very light) on middle finger it was all most after the test 1 hr . Single HIV rapid test at 30 days -Negative Single HIV rapid test ate 45 days -Negative Do you want me test at 3 months or shall I go normal life?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please move on with your life... Detailed Answer: Hi, I went through your follow up. There is almost zero chances HIV would have survived through the dried blood and through the MRI scan to lead to an infection. You can safely ignore this event and move on with your life. I would not advice any more tests on this regards. Hope I have answered your questions. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions. Regards