How is Epididymitis treated ?

I am 67 years old, 5'9", 170 lbs., and am suffering from epididymitis for the third time. It seems to be brought on by travelling by car and sitting for long periods and or straining to ejaculate during sex, although the testicles seem to be tender even when I feel OK.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 45 minutes later
Hello Ehammerli,

Thanks for the query,

Epididimytis is usually not caused by long hours of car travel or straining to ejaculate during sex.

Presence of epididimytis is associated with groin pain, lump in the testicle , pain or burning during urination, testicular pain that increases with bowel movement. The pain is usually more in the upper part of the testes, and is reduced by elevation of the testicles.

Presence of testicular tenderness could be due to associated inflammation of the testicle (Orchitis).

In case you do feel that your symptoms are due to epididymitis, you might consult your doctor or a urologist who can examine you and get a ultrasound done to look for any lesions that are causing the recurrant attacks. In addition he can rule out complications like abscess that can form due to chronic epididymitis.

Treatment with antibiotics prescribed by your doctor usually will help to treat the condition.
Bed rest, while elevating the scrotum and applying ice packs to the area, is also recommended.

I hope this helps.

In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.

Follow-up: How is Epididymitis treated ? 2 hours later
Is it possible that an enlarged prostate backs urine into the testes area? Does the urine cause an infection if that is the case? Would sitting in a car for long periods exascerbate that process? Would ejaculation exascerbate that process?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 13 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the follow up.

An enlarged Prostrate can result in backing of the urine into the ureter and cause kidney issues.

The seminal tubes that carry the semen, join the urethra at the base of the Prostrate. Hence Prostrate enlargement - does not cause backing of urine into the vas deferans (tubes carrying sperms from testes) or the testes.

Since the urine does not reach the testes, there is no question of the urine causing Epididymitis.

In addition, when you sit in the car, your thighs are bent(flexed), and hence the Epididymitis or the scrotal sac lying posteriorly would not be affected.

Epididymitis might result in pain during ejaculation, but is not worsened by ejaculation in any form.

I hope this helps to answer your questions effectively. Please feel free to consult me in case you have additional doubts.

Dr Anvekar.