How genital warts virus live outside the body?

May 2013
How long does the virus that causes genital warts live outside the body? Do I need to worry about the virus contaminating someone else's clothes after I wash my clothes in cold water?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of transmission is less Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Genital warts are caused by Human papilloma virus. Survival period of the virus outside the body is less. If a person uses the clothes of infected person without washing, there is some possibility of transmission. After washing the possibility of transmission is very less. So, no need to worry. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: How genital warts virus live outside the body? 23 minutes later
What is the survival period for HPV outside the human body? Is there a risk of somebody else's clothes being tainted by the virus if they use the same washing machine as me? Will I get warts on other parts of my body if the virus comes into simple contact them?
Brief Answer: Around one week Detailed Answer: Hi, According to few observations it is said that HPV can live for one week outside the body. But the infectivity will decrease from time to time. The virus may not spread through washing machine. If you touch other parts of the body after touching the genital warts, there is possibility of getting warts. Better to take treatment and get removed the genital warts. Take care.