How does transmission of Ureaplasma parvum happen?

Hello, I was wondering how high is the probability of infecting my partner with ureaplasma parvum orally if he is on doxycycline at that moment? I have been diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum about 3 months ago and was prescribed 3 courses of antibiotics in a row due to the symptoms still present. I haven't yet been retested for ureaplasma parvum since I'm finishing my 3rd course of antibiotics (doxycycline) at the moment so it may be I have already got rid of it. The question is if I have already got rid of ureaplasma parvum and me and my partner engage in oral sex, could I get reinfected assuming that he has ureaplasma parvum too but is on doxycycline at that moment? And if i haven't yet got rid of ureaplasma parvum could engaging in oral sex in any ways worsen his treatment?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: High chances to get re-infected.... Detailed Answer: Hi, The mode of transmission of Ureaplasma parvum is when engaged in genital-genital and oral-genital sex. It is better to not being involved in any sexual activity until the infection is totally eradicated. If you have been involved in oral-genital sex,then chances to re-transmit the infection is high. Furthermore, as the infection cannot be totally eradicated, it can be "re-circulating" between both of you. That's why is highly recommended to avoid sex while on treatment. Please have patience until infection is totally eradicated. All the best! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: How does transmission of Ureaplasma parvum happen? 19 minutes later
Thank you, so it is the same even if condoms are used? Also, can you recommend where can my husband get tested for ureaplasma parvum in Chicago area? We've tried looking up internet but it seems as if there are no tests for ureaplasma parvum in the states at all, which i'm guessing is not true.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following clinics for ureaplasma diagnostic tests. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for following up. Using condoms is a way of preventing many diseases. However, as long as one of you or both of you are on treatment, I advise not to have sex until full recovery. However, you should keep following up with your OG specialist/infectionist for further evaluation. With regards to getting tested in Chicago, please take note that the XXXXXXX forum is not intented as per yellow pages. However, you can contact the clinics in the following links and hopefully, you will find one to get your husband screened. Please bare in mind that the test used to find out Ureaplasma parvum is molecular or culture. 1) Cleveland Clinic WWW.WWWW.WW 2) NorthShore University Health System WWW.WWWW.WW Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida