How does marijuana effect an innocent heart murmur?

how does marijuana effect an innocent heart murmur i Recently Like 3wks Ago Got An UltraSound On My Murmur That I Have Had Since Birth And My Doctor Mentioned My Heart Seemed To Be Very Healthy... Ive Been Smoking Marijuana Since 7th Grade But Recently Now That Im In 11th... This Past Summer Ive Been Smoking Weekly Maybe Daily Sometimes On Occasions... answer back please!
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your question with diligence.
National Institute of health summarizes effect on a normal heart from which we derive what happens to murmur:
Marijuana increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias.

This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities. It would be wrong to extrapolate too great a danger in younger population. Needless to say if quantity is kept limited and frequency less, one can get away without harm.

So depending on heart rate murmur length and intensity may change. In arrhythmia when heart beats out of rhythm in post ectopic (the extra beat) the murmur may be loud and forceful. I hope that answers your question. If you have any follow up question, I would be happy to answer.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: How does marijuana effect an innocent heart murmur? 58 minutes later
Yes You Did Very Well... Now Also Is There A Way To Prescribe A Person To A.D.H.D If They Have A Heart Murmur... I Hear Stimulants Are Bad For People With Heart Problems... Is There A Substitute That Can Be Used For A Person In This Type Of Situation????
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing back. I am glad I could answer your specific question. Let us not extend it to ADHD where there can be problems which I would not like to go except with someone who actually suffers from it to respect his/her privacy.
If you have no more question please close the question with comments and stars. Thank You

Dr Anil Grover