How do I soothe sore legs after a sprain?

I fell down a couple of steps and twisted both ankles. The ankles are sore but ok. But today my right leg--especially in the upper thigh/quad area is very sore and tender to the touch. But no bruising. I'm not sure what's going on.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Since your ankles are mildly sore it seems that the injury is minor and you can help yourself by-

1.Rest:The first 24-48 hours after the injury is considered a critical treatment period and activities need to be curtailed. Gradually put as much weight on the involved ankle as tolerated and discontinue crutch use when you can walk with a normal gait (with minimal to no pain or limp).

2.Ice:For the first 48 hours post-injury,use an ice pack and elevate the ankle sprain 20 minutes at a time every 3-4 hours. The ice pack can be a bag of frozen vegetables (peas or corn), allowing you to be able to re-use the bag. Do NOT ice a ankle sprain for more than 20 minutes at a time.You will not be helping heal the ankle sprain any faster, and you can cause damage to the tissues!

3.Compression:Use compression when elevating the ankle sprain in early treatment. Using an Ace bandage, wrap the ankle from the toes all the way up to the top of the calf muscle, overlapping the elastic wrap by one-half of the width of the wrap. The wrap should be snug, but not cutting off circulation to the foot and ankle. So, if your foot becomes cold, blue, or falls asleep, re-wrap.

4.Elevate:Keep your ankle sprain higher than your heart as often as possible. Elevate at night by placing books under the foot of your mattresses--just stand up slowly in the morning.

The tenderness in the upper thigh area can be due to muscle stretch or some XXXXXXX bleeding/ hematoma.If you can put the weight and stand on your right leg then fracture is less likely.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.