How do I know if the fat I am losing is visceral or subcutaneous?

I'm losing fat on my diet. How do I know if it's visceral or subcutaneous? What weight loss regimen, if any, might lead to fractionally higher visceral loss? BTW, the only measurement device I have is a scale with an impedance measurement to estimate fat. Bad device, I know, but can't afford MRIs just for the fun of it.
Maybe visceral vs SC doesn,'t make any difference, but I've hear viesceral is bad because it's the source of unwlecome hormonal changes and inflammation.

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You are correct.
Visceral fat is considered to be more XXXXXXX than subcutaneous fat. It is the fat that is associated with increased likelihood of fatty liver disease due to deposits of fat in the liver.This is actually one of the more common causes of liver disease at present.
It is also associated with the increased release of inflammatory markers or chemicals which do have a negative impact on the body.

Waist circumference is most commonly used as a marker of visceral fat. It is best that the waist circumference of a male be less than 94 cm. If it is above 94 cm then the person is considered to have an increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
If it is above 102 cm then the person is considered high risk.

Medical studies have been done and have demonstrated a correlation between waist circumference and visceral fat.
These studies employed to use of imaging techniques to see if there was a corresponding change in visceral fat and a correlation was seen

YOu can consider measuring your waist circumference to see if your visceral fat and therefore risk of complications is decreasing with your weight loss.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions