How conclusive is the third generation test result after four weeks of unprotected sex?

hi I had unprotected sex with a positive male and then tested with 3rd generation test at 4 weeks and it came back negative. I then began researching and found that test may not pick up antibodies at the 4 week mark I have now had a 3rd gen test with RNA at 9 weeks. How conclusive will the results of my last test be?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Window period Detailed Answer: Hello, The window period of an HIV infection is anywhere between 9 days to 6 months. If you have tested within this time, then you may get a false negative also. There are several types of tests available. Of these, RNA tests are accurate after 3 weeks of infection if the virus is present. PCR tests are also accurate for 2-3 weeks after infection. I suggest you repeat the test after 3 months of exposure instead of now. There will be a higher viral load if at all. Accuracy rate will be better. However, if you want to be tested now, i'd suggest the PCR test.