How can you tell whether you are sensitive to gluten or not?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I have been tested for celiac disease, and I do not have it. However, I have also read about gluten sensitivity. Because my symptoms were so similar to those listed on Doctor Oz's show recently, I wonder how you can tell if you are sensitive to gluten?
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It is possible to have non-celiac gluten sensitivity and it wouldnt be discovered on coeliac disease test. Unlike other allergies, there is no specific test for gluten sensitivity and it can be diagnosed by process of exclusion. So it is recommended to have a gluten elimination diet. If symptoms improve on a gluten-free diet, then you likely have non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Symptoms of gluten sensitivity are nonspecific gastrointestinal signs and considering your medical history it can be related to your IBS or colon resection. Hemicolectomy always effect digestion and it can lead to certain abdominal discomfort,bloating and pain. IBS as well. But nothing will cost you to avoid gluten products for 2-3 weeks and see will condition improve. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards