How can the scar be healed that has caused due to removal of lesion?

I had the chicken pox 18 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. I spent a long time in the hospital with it as I developed pnemonia. When they were removing my heart monitor to go home, they ripped open one of the lesions under my breas and it left a terrible scar. That scar is now red, sore and raised. What can I do to help it heal? Should I have it looked at?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms, the possibility of keloid needs to be ruled out. Keloid is a heaped-up scar that rises quite abruptly above the rest of the skin and become red, purple and irritated. They are very commonly found on chest and may start some time after the injury or skin lesion.

You should have this examined from a dermatologist and discuss the treatment plans with him.

The treatment methods for keloids are:
1)     corticosteroid injections inside the keloids
2)     Pulses XXXXXXX laser
3)     silicone sheets
4)     cryotherapy
5)     injection of interferon
6)     surgery
Till you get any of the treatments done, do not undergo any elective skin surgeries or procedures such as piercing of the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.