How can stomach infection be treated ?

Hi, I just got over the stomach bug. It started a week ago and I felt queasy and kept feeling sad. I took some tums and that helped. I feel better but earlier today I took a drink of water and I felt uneasy and had trouble focusing reading a book. i can eat regular foods but now my stomach keeps growling. Can you explain what is wrong with me?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 22 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

It seems that you had stomach infection which could have been bacterial,viral or parasitic in nature. TUMS is an antacid and only helps in relieving excessive acidity.

Gurgling sounds from the abdomen are heard due to intestinal hypermotility. While such features may persist for a few days after a recent stomach infection, a recurrence of infection needs to be ruled out here.
Stomach infections usually resolve spontaneously and is not a serious concern. They resolve in 2-3 days with no major complications.

Some suggestions for you:
1. Have light food and avoid heavy,spicy processed food items.
2. Drink Cranberry juice as it helps in combating mild infection.
3. Have XXXXXXX cidar Vinegar mixed with XXXXXXX juice.
4. Drink lots of water. Take care that you only consume water that is properly sterilized.

If there are any other symptoms as nausea,vomiting, loose motions then consider visiting a Physician for examination. You might require prescription medications for it.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow query if any.