How can i deal with memory issues inspite of taking treatment for ADHD and for some medical diagnosis?

Hi i am a 61 year old male with A Masters in Social Work and an ongoing diagnosis of ADHD, for which i receive Dextro-Amphetamine. I am also diagnosed with Alcohol Dependence which led to the larger problem of hospitalization in the Summer of 2013. Tests showed lesions in the white matter and pons. This has resulted in a limitation on my work, due to recent note of poor memory. A Wechsler's memory test showed me at levels of 5 and 10% in different areas. Note: My memory has always been atrocious, with no noted changes by my wife, kids and friends now. In September 2013, all things looked much worse. Vitamin B-12 shots seem to have helped considerably. I have saved a good amount of money, but want to get back to work. I don't drink alcohol any more. My dad was alcoholic and quit drinking when he was about 55 years old and died at age 72. I have no criminal history and no history of DUI or any other charges of professional or criminal irresponsibility. What (else) am I, and should I be looking at? Thanks for your response. XXXXXXX Also i note that my Dad's mom had pernicious anemia, and I run across references to anemia in my reading.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Take good neuron protective supplements and walks Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to HCM! I have read the query carefully and can see that you have several health issues- past alcohol dependence with complications, ADHD, memory problems, and other medical problems. Currently you are taking treatment for ADHD and for some medical diagnosis. you want to know what can you do about your memory issues and how can you look froward to work. Firstly, the memory as you have mentioned is declining according to weschlers scale but at the same time your immediate family and frieds have not seen any noticeable change. I want to tell you that all kinds of memory tests and psychological tests are supportive in nature and not diagnostic, so, if practically the memory is same as before then you may not fear so much about it. secondly, in ADHD, due to internal hyperactivity, the patient has some issues with his concentration - has a poor concentration which is reflected in form of poor memory. this may be a cofactor in your case. You are already taking your treatment for the same, may be you can make a visit to your doctor, and revise the medication dosage. Thirdly, the best things which you could have done to protect your brain is by stopping alcohol. With this there will not be any further damage. you have not mentioned taking any neuron supplement except B12 ( which was helpful). I would like to advice that you should also take Vit.B1 tablet 100 mg twice a day, along with a good neuron protector like - adenosine, citicolone. These will help to atlest stabilise the ongoing damage and may be slow its progress. You had a good response to B 12, which again points towards a possibility of having further benefit with other such supplements. Lastly, I always recommend my patients who have similar problem: to solve some kind so puzzles, crosswords, and maintain a daily diary for important events. this helps them to increase remeberance, boost confidence and makes them self reliant. You should go for regular walks and if possible jog at least 3 times aweek. Physical activities help in improvement in brain functioning. Hope the reply is useful please feel free to ask more question for clarifictaion Dr. Manisha Gopal MD Psychiatry