How can discoloration due to injury be removed?

My 4 year old daughter fell and hit her forehead into the edge of a coffee table about a month ago.
Her bruising went away after a few weeks, but there's still a slight discolored line where she hit her forehead and a slight indentation/bump in the area which is obvious when she looks up or crinkles her forehead.

Is the discolored line/bump going to eventually go away? How can I treat it for now to speed the healing process?

Four years old, 3 feet tall. No medical issues.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

A bruise usually leaves a discoloration for few days or weeks ,but then it generally fades off without leaving any XXXXXXX

What you see right now is called a "post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation" (PIH).This too with or without treatment should fade off.

If you need to speed up the process ,then you can use creams containing hydroquinone which helps in diluting the pigment.

As you mentioned about the indentation / bump ,I would like to know whether it is raised above the skin level or depressed or do you feel a lump or thickness with in the skin.

If it is so then you may need creams which would help dissolve the collagen response.In case there is a blood collection (hematoma) underneath then you may need a ointment to dissolve that.

Face has a good vascular supply which helps in healing fast .Even big suture marks heal fast and good .As in your case since there was no breach in the skin ,it thus should heal good .

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda.

Follow-up: How can discoloration due to injury be removed? 16 hours later
Hi doctor, thanks for your reply. Can you recommend what kind of creams contain hydroquinone to help with the PIH?

Regarding the indentation/bump. Basically when I feel it with my finger, I can feel a slight lump or thickness under the skin (at the line). When she crinkles her forehead, then it looks like an indentation. Is the lump/thickness scar tissue, or calcium deposit, or a hematoma that has not fully healed yet? How long can I expect it to take to heal?

What kind of creams I can use to dissolve the collagen response?

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

A hematoma (blood collection) can be dissolved by use of heparin product. In India it is available by the the name THROMBOPHOB ointment/gel which can be used topically .

If there is a collagen response then you can use products containing allantoin,heparin,cepae etc . In India it is available by the name CONTRAXTUBEX /MEDERMA CREAM. It is a OTC in India ,but I have no idea about the laws in your country.

These creams will fasten up the healing process by dissolving the collagen or hematoma.

And for pigmentation you can use hydroquinone cream (2% 0r 3%). Since it is not an OTC cream I may not be able to suggest you the trade name of it.

You need a dermatologists prescription for the same. But use it in the night time only over the spot. In the morning you can use a sunscreen over the spot.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you & your daughter good health .

Dr.Bharat chawda.