Ask a Urologist   »  

How can bloating, blood in urine and painful urination be cured?

Hi there, I've been suffering from painful bloating, blood in my urine and painful peeing for 2 days. I'm mainly affected at night and it seems that with increased water intake, blood and pain while peeing is reduced significantly. During the day I feel normal and don't seem to have chronic symptoms. I also have been getting fevers in the evenings. Should I take this seriously or will rest, water and cranberry tablets suffice? I've never experienced this before, am not on any meds
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Blood in urine is called hematuria. The symptoms described by you( blood in urine, pain while micturition and abdominal pain and fever) suggests 3 possibilities which needs to be ruled out. They include:

1)     Urinary tract infection: Females are more prone to UTI’s. .
2)     Kidney stones
3)     Obstruction in the bladder and urethra.

To confirm the diagnosis, you may need to get few or all of the following tests:
a. Routine Urinalysis and microscopy.
b. Urine culture
c. X-rays of the kidneys
d. Cystoscopy
e. IVP
f. Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.

A physician / urologist / gynecologist can help get these test sequentially. I suggest you to get these investigations done under their guidance.

Whilst, drink plenty of water. It is very helpful in flushing out the toxins in case of infection.

Cranberry juice is useful as reported by some cases. You may use them twice or thrice a day.

Hope this answers has been both informative and useful to you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.