How can back pain be relieved?

Hi, I have a ruptured disc at L5-S1. I was doing great for about 3 months prior to Saturday (today is Monday). Had 3 ESI's, PT, the works. Re-injured myself playing with my daughter over the weekend, and have been in intense pain since. What should I do? I'm 24 years old.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I am sorry to hear you are in such pain and discomfort. As far as the acute exacerbation of your back pain there are a few things you can do to try and mitigate the symptoms. First thing is to start some stretching exercises - I am sure you did these with the physical therapist. If you are not quite sure the exact and best stretches there are a number of websites online which provide good instruction with illustrations. Pay particular attention to stretching the muscle fibers above and below the area of pain.

Next we need to attack the pain from an anti-inflammatory standpoint. I recommend ibuprofen 800 mg or 4 over the counter tablets by mouth three times daily with plenty of water and a bit of food to protect against stomach upset. You could try this in place of the Mobic for a while and see if it helps more. You already have the opiate effects of the Nucynta to deal with the pain.

Sometimes physicians will prescribe a course of prednisone to help with pain related to bulging discs. This may be of benefit to you.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my answer has served to be both helpful and informative. should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga