How can a hole in the knee cap be healed?

Question
I have just had an arthroscopy on my very painful right knee, Doctor says that I have a hole in my kneecap, has made the hole a little bigger so that it can heal(?) and it will now take about 9 months to totally heal. I was told not to bend it and not to crouch. How do I manage this for 9 months. Also what do you suggest for exercise and how can I help the healing process? How could this have happened in the first place?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

A hole in knee cap is usually a defect in its formation and remains asymptomatic in most of the cases. It is a sesamoid bone and sometimes mild deficits in calcification might remain as a hole in the bone. Increasing the hole roughens the margins and triggers the growth of bone which had stopped thus healing the hole.

Usually the hole heals in 4-6 weeks time.If you are having difficulty in your daily routine you can use a western style toilet to avoid crouching.
Regarding the exercise, you can do quadriceps drill with help of your physiotherapist. To enhance healing take calcium supplements and a high protein diet.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Regards.