How can I remove a scar?

Hi :-) Am a light skin african woman, I have a terrible dark scar on my knees due to friction burn 2yrs ago. Its about the size of a golf ball, tried moisturising with oils and some lightening product to get rid of it but the scar is just adamant and won't go away. It is very embarrassing and awful looking. Am desperate to get my skin back to it's original colour How can I get rid of it so I can wear short cloths again. Please help. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 8 hours later
Thanks for the query,

I can understand how bothersome it would be having a scar at an exposed area of the body.

Is the scar just dark in colour or has the skin texture also changed?

If there is a change in the skin texture then either surgery or LASERs (ablative) are the best bet for you as creams are unlikely to give any benefit.

If there is only a colour change without any textural change, then you can use Kligman's formula creams once daily to lighten the colour ,but it takes a long time.

In the mean while you may use camouflage, cover up creams.

Hope my answer is adequate.I will be available for follow up .
Follow-up: How can I remove a scar? 8 hours later
Thanks for your response.
Yes, there is a very slight change in texture, kind of dry and almost flaky looking on the surface. Where can I get this Kilgram's formula creams? online or over the counter? I've never heard of camouflage cover up creams too...pardon my ignorance (laughs), how can I get hold of them too?
Thanks so much and I look forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 15 hours later

These creams are not available over the counter. You have to see a dermatologist personally and discuss with him/her.

These creams are one of the best lightening creams but have to be used only under a dermatologists supervision.

You will get camouflage cream for a dermatologist's office only after colour matching.

These creams will take a long time to show their effect and will have only a minimal action on the textural change, for which, you should discuss lasers with your dermatosurgeon/ plastic surgeon.